That 1st bed of arugula, poster child of the early spring csa, has started to bolt because of the heatwave we just went through. It’s still so beautiful though!
Today our superstar apprentice, Chris Gang, picked 20 pounds of it!
So this stuff is bright green and full of it. Spicy and strong. I made some pesto with it. And I hope you will too!
How about 3/4 lb. of it plus a head of our softneck garlic (it’s not so pretty but there’s nothing wrong with it) we’ll call it our Pesto Pack and it’s only $3!
We’ll put it in coolers, by the egg cooler in the morning. And keep it out there until it’s gone!
And here’s the recipe I used, let me know if you’ve got one that’s better:
- 3 overflowing cups of course-chopped arugula (washed and drip-dried but still wet) that, for me, was about 3/4 lb.
- 1/2 generous cup nuts (we had almonds. I think walnuts or pine nuts would be better)
- 1/2 generous cup cheese (we had romano, I bet parm is better)
- head of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus a little more
- salt, at least a 1/2 tsp.
- lemon juice.
In a food processor, pulverize the nuts. Then put everything else in their, except the lemon juice. Process to the point you like. Makes 2 cups. I sprinkle a little more salt, plus lemon juice and olive oil over the top and it lasts in the fridge a week.
So share it with friends and loved ones. Come by and get your pesto packs ASAP!